The ICD-10 is the latest iteration of the International Classification of Diseases. Used as the international standard on medical diagnosis, epidemiology, and health management classification, the ICD-10 aims to include all of the health ailments known to doctors today in one comprehensive source. Although many countries have implemented the ICD-10 (or revisions of), the United States has set a deadline of October, 2013 for the full implementation of the system. The staggered implementation process of ICD-10, along with the vast technical improvements, and increase in medical codes has created the demand for a colossal amount of resources, ranging from official statements from the World Health Organization to small, independent blogs. You will find below a collection of resources ranging from official press releases to forums of heated debate among medical professionals to help you gain a holistic understanding of the ICD-10 discussion today.
World Health Organization
- World Health Organization ICD-10 Overview – The premier resource for ICD-10 information. The World Health Organization, the main endorser of the set of ICD standards, constantly its website to reflect the current state of affairs in terms of the ICD-10.
- History of the ICD (PDF) – Historical overview of the development of the ICD standard. Beings with a description of Francois Bossier de Lacroix, who pioneered the idea of classifying diseases systematically under the title, Nostalgia methodica. Covers the International List of Causes of Death, which set the foundation for the first iteration of the ICD.
- WHOFIC Implementation Database – Database containing information covering the implementation process and progress of the WHO Family of International Classifications member states. Currently, the database focuses on the implementation of ICD-10, as that is the largest initiative in health care that the WHO oversees at the moment.
- ICD-10 Interactive Learning Tool – Learning the nuances and implementation processes of ICD-10 will be a laborious task. The WHO has developed a free online tool to help you learn how to use the new system before its implementation in the United States in October 2013.
- ICD-10 Listing – This resource contains a comprehensive listing of every classification and medical ailment in the current version of the ICD-10. Includes a search tool for sifting through the massive database of categories.
- ICD Revision Updates – Keep up to date with revisions in the ICD database. This resource regularly updates its article base on the development of ICD-11, which is due by 2015 for final revision.
- ICD-11 Alpha Release – An early release of the content covered in ICD-11. In the alpha stage, this resource will contain errors and content that are sure to change as revisions are made.
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
- CMS ICD-10 Website – The United States hub for information on the implementation of ICD-10. Provides resources to help American health organizations prepare for the transition by October 2013.
- CMS News – Provides the latest news on conferences, resources, and updates about the implementation of ICD-10.
- Medicare Provider Resources – Helps Medicare fee-for-service providers transition to ICD-10, reducing the efficiencies and cash flows lost as a result of late compliance.
- Medicaid Resources – Covers how the ICD-10 standards will affect government covered Medicaid services
- CMS Acronym Finder – Combining the fields of medicine and technology, medical database users experts love to use acronyms. The CMS acronym finder is a great resource for looking up the meanings of these acronyms on a whim.
American Health Information Management Association
- AHIMA Home – The Ameircan Health Information Management Association is a comprehensive resource on information technology usage in the field of medicine. This page is AHIMA’s hub for the ICD-10.
- AHIMA Press Releases – As the authority on health information management in the United States, AHIMA releases press releases on developments in the implementation of ICD-10 on a regular basis.
- Overview of AHIMA Advocacy Efforts – AHIMA is a firm supporter of the transition between ICD-9 and ICD-10. This resource displays the different initiatives AHIMA has chosen to help progress the process.
- Education Opportunities – AHIMA’s resource on education and training for the transition to ICD-10. Includes webinars, recordings of AHIMA conferences, and other educational resources.
- AHIMA-Approved ICD-10-CM/PCS Trainers – A list of approved trainers sorted by state of residency.
- Networking Opportunities – A link to join the AHIMA, which provides valuable opportunities to network with health information professionals.
- ICD-10-CM Primer – A comparison between ICD-9-CM and ICD-10-CM and primer on new features.
- Effectiveness of ICD-10-CM (PDF) – A study measuring how effective the ICD-10-CM was at capturing public health diseases compared to the ICD-9-CM. Found that the overall rankings for disease capture for ICD-10-CM were significantly higher than the rankings for ICD-9-CM.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Overview of ICD-10 – CDC’s description of the ICD-10-CM
- Overview of ICD-10-CM – CDC’s description of the ICD-10-CM. The clinical modification marks an improvement upon the existing ICD-10.
American Medical Association
- ICD-10 Overview – AMA’s resource on ICD-10. Covers differences between ICD-9 and additional information on the benefits of the transition.
American Association of Professional Coders
- ICD-10 Implementation – AAPC’s resource on the implementation process of ICD-10. Offers links to training boot camps and additional resources to help coders make the transition.
Massacheusettes Health Data Consortium
- Massachusetts Health Data Consortium Updates – Source including presentations on ICD-10 health standards implementation.
Blogs and Forums
- 3M Health Information – 3M provides technical services for ICD-10 implementation. Their blog coveres a wide range of health information topics.
- ICD-10 Watch – An independent blog covering developments in ICD-10 implementation.
- ICD-10 Hub – A blog which receives regular contributions from professionals in the field of health information management
- ICD-10 Webinar (Signup Required)- A discussion on how ICD-10-CM will change the way your organization operates by Deborah J. Grider, Vice President of Strategic Development American Academy of Professional Coders.
- HIMSS Blog – A blog covering a range of health information topics including public policy and technology implementation.
- Nursing Informatics and Technology – A blog dedicated to how nurses can use their skills in health information management
- Disease Management Care Blog – Although the blog is mainly focused towards disease management, it often incorporates trending topics such as how ICD-10 will affect disease classifications and the role of technology in disease management.
- ICD-10 Network – Online network of health information professionals. Includes a forum to facilitate discussion on topics involving ICD-10.